Foxes using cat flaps

'I have never known pain like it': Fox came in through my cat flap and bit the top of my finger off, says ambulance driver

An ambulance worker told yesterday how a fox crept into her house through the cat flap and attacked her.

Tammy Page, 29, found the animal in her kitchen in the middle of the night.

As she tried to move it back into the garden, it launched itself at her, biting the top of her finger off.

Tammy Page with her finger which was bitten by a fox

Tammy Page holds up the finger which was savaged by the fox. 'Blood was pouring from my finger, the tip was hanging off and it was so mangled and infected the doctor could not stitch it.'

Tammy Page with her cats Tinks. She says the fox came in through the cat flap before biting her finger

Tammy Page with her cats Tinks. She says the fox came in through the cat flap before biting her finger

fox bares its teeth

A fox bares its teeth. Tammy's flat backs on to a railway line and she said foxes living there have increased in number and become more brazen in their hunt for food

Miss Page, who keeps chickens in the garden of her ground-floor flat, had woken early on Sunday to the sound of her back door rattling.

Fearing it was a burglar, she jumped out of bed and went downstairs. Seeing the fox dash under the stairs, she ran to her kitchen to grab a weapon – and the fox followed her.

She said: ‘It was a young fox, maybe a year old, but it was mangy and crazy looking. I think it might have chased one of my cats in so thank God it didn’t get hold of them.

‘It looked starving and desperate. I was between it and the exit and there was a stand-off. It was screaming like a baby being hurt, it was one of the worst noises I have ever heard.

‘My cats were terrified on top of the freezer so I went to try to push it back out but it came at me and snapped its jaw shut round my left index finger.

‘I felt the pain immediately, but grabbed the fox round the scruff of the neck and chucked it in the garden.’

Miss Page, from Worthing, West Sussex, wrapped a tea towel round her finger and drove straight to hospital. ‘Blood was pouring from my finger,’ she said. ‘The tip was hanging off and it was so mangled the doctor could not stitch it.

‘I am an ambulance technician so I am used to dealing with lacerations but this was ugly and I was in shock.’

Experts believe the animal had become desperately hungry after wheelie bins were introduced in Miss Page’s street, removing an easy source of food for urban foxes.




Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346866/Fox-came-cat-flap-bit-finger-says-ambulance-driver-Tammy-Page.html#ixzz1BU0plPbS

6 comments:

  1. There is an increasing danger of foxes encouraged to enter gardens to be fed will now enter homes through open windows, doors and cat flaps! Foxes are natural predators and not domestic animals. They should not be treated as such!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fox once chased my cat but the cat got up the tree and the fox's barking woke us up and frightened it off. I think they will kill cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot of nonsense written about foxes but there are more about definitely. I have seen more - not a hunting fan but they aren't urban animals because they are vicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Forgive the plug but www.fearing.co.uk/Sure/Flap have an answer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Foxes frighten me aren't they a pest?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Possibly that was why they were hunted in the first place - they killed domestic and farm animals. Now that isn't happening people seem to think they're like pets. They are fed at homes and in gardens and get very brave! But evidence suggests they are vicious.

    ReplyDelete