Cat poison death alert

WORRIED vets have issued an urgent warning after a string of mystery pet poisonings which have already claimed the lives of three Doncaster cats.

Vets from the emergency out-of-hours clinic in Bawtry Road, Bessacarr, are urging owners in the area to keep their cats indoors until the problem has been resolved.

Molly is one of five cats believed to have swallowed anti-freeze in the Monks Close area of Dunscroft - and only two have survived.

Joanne first noticed Molly was not acting normally last Sunday morning because she would not eat her food, was walking in a ‘drunken’ manner and was twitching.

As soon as her husband returned home from work the couple took the cat to Vets Now, where the animal was put on a drip to try to get rid of toxins in her system and prevent further damage to her kidneys.

Molly was on a drip all night and is still undergoing tests to establish the extent of damage to her kidneys. If it is irreparable she will have to be put down.

Since the end of April the Vets Now Doncaster clinic has seen five cats from Monks Close, all showing signs of acute renal failure.

Only two of the cats could be saved thanks to intensive treatment primarily due to catching the symptoms early. .

Vets Now has contacted Doncaster Council and the RSPCA to alert them to the issue.

Laura McDermott, senior vet at Vets Now Doncaster, said: “Following investigations we have found out the most likely source of the poisonings is ethylene glycol.

“We would urge residents in the area to check their garages and gardens in case a leaking container has been left out in the open.”

“Where there is evidence an animal has been deliberately poisoned the RSPCA will look to prosecute those responsible.”

Source: The star

1 comment:

  1. I hope this problem gets sorted soon, and hope that molly makes a quicker recovery